Thursday, July 27, 2006

A Positive Blood

I talked to my transplant coordinator earlier this week. She said that my status is back on (since I was placed on hold after having my gall bladder removed). I also asked her to verify my blood type, and she said that I am A POSITIVE.

I sent an e-mail to the remaining three potential donors in the Dallas area that had already had their blood work completed. I asked them to contact the transplant coordinator to set up testing appointments. I am hoping that she will be able to set up testing for all three of them so that we can find a match more quickly, but who knows. She may still want to do them one at a time.

I did not have a great treatment on Saturday. The machine ran slowly, and the charge nurse came by and told me I should consider moving up to the 15 gauge needles. I told her I would think about it. I went home at my dry weight (70.5 kg), but did not feel good with a very low blood pressure and a slight temperature. I stayed up for about two or three hours after my treatment waiting on my temp and pressure to even out. We ended up going to bed late, but at least we did not have to take a trip to the emergency room.

Tuesday, I did go ahead and use the 15-gauge needles. I have been using the 17-gauge needles for almost three weeks. I was hoping my fistula would behave before moving up, but the machine does not seem to like the smaller needles with my vein. The 15-gauge treatment went well. I had them only take me down to 71.0 kg, so I think that helped me feel better. I have also stopped taking one of my blood pressure medications to see if I can get my blood pressure to even out a bit. I guess I will find out at tonight’s treatment.

So, I am on 15-gauge needles now, which is good. The machine ran at 350 ml/min on Tuesday, and I think they are going to try the full 400 ml/min today. 400 is the rate that they prefer to go. I think the machine can run faster, but they don’t normally do that.

I have to ask for my thyroid function test results today so that I can send them to my endocrinologist. I have an appointment with him on Monday, and I’d like it to be the last one I have. I think my function has leveled out (according to my results) so I should not need to see him anymore.

Please pray for the potential kidney donors. Pray that their tests will be scheduled easily and that they right person will be found to be a donor. Thanks for coming by!

No comments: