Saturday, August 02, 2008

Double Surgery!

I know, double surgery sounds pretty bad. I probably should have title this post: "More News from the Doctor" or perhaps "What I've Learned" instead of Double Surgery. But, I did not. Now that you are tired of me explaining my choices, I guess I should talk about my surgery.

So, if you've been reading, you've noticed that I've been complaining of a chronic cough for a couple of months now. My nephrologist scheduled a CT scan for me on July 14, and they looked at my chest and sinuses. From there, I was referred to an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor (or ENT for short - and no, not the Ents from Lord of the Rings). This doctor looked at my CT results, and looked up my nose, and said that I would need surgery to fix my problem.

I would normally have complained about surgery, except that this is what the kidney doctor had recommended as well. Since the two doctor had never spoken, I am going to guess that the opinion of two doctors is probably pretty good.

So, you've all read the post about my CT scan results by now. And, if you haven't, then go read it at: http://nmccart.blogspot.com/2008/07/many-tests-later.html

I am going to have a "Nasal Septal Reconstruction" to relieve my Deviated Nasal Septum. I am also having "Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery" to relieve my Chronic Sinusitis. What does this mean? The first one, the NSR (as I choose to call it) will fix my deviated septum. It's basically the seperation between the two sides of your nose. Mine is not straight, and they are going to fix it. It should help me breathe and drain better. The second surgery, or FESS (that doesn't sound as good as NSR did) is to clean the sinus polyps out of my sinus cavity (in my cheeks). I think they must have been there a while, because they are a decent size, and I have a runny nose ALL the time.

The surgeries will be on Monday, August 11, in Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. It is outpatient surgery, so I should not be there more than a few hours. All I have to do now is to pick up my CT charts and pre-register. (The doctor wanted to look at the actual scans before doing any work).

Please pray that the surgery goes well and that I recover quickly. It should not be a long reocvery, but I am looking forward to getting rid of this cough and possibly even breathing easier all the rest of the time!

Enjoy your week everyone. I'll try to blog again after the surgery.

3 comments:

Christy said...

My name is Christy McNiel. My husband, Gary has PKD and we are in the process of getting him listed on a transplant list. We live in Dallas and his nephrologist is at Baylor. We went to San Antonio to get evaluated for a kidney transplant because Baylor was having issues with our insurance. All is straightened out now and we now need to make an appointment with DTI to get Gary listed there. How was your expeience with Baylor? Who was your pre-transplant doctor, transplant surgeon and post-transplant doctor? Were you listed at more than one hospital? Sorry for all the questions. We are just trying to find out as much information as we can so that we know what steps we need to take next. Gary is not on dialysis yet, and we hope to avoid it , but we probably won't be so lucky. Thanks again!!!

teacherpanda said...

For the first week or two after next week's surgery, you will live in a chair-preferably a recliner. You will not be allowed to bend over, or blow your nose. I had the sinus surgery in January 06. I now use, a certain nasal spray a few times a day to help keep my nose moist. The brand name is OCEAN. I hope everything goes well.

Unknown said...

Christy - I posted a response to your comment on my next post.

http://nmccart.blogspot.com/2008/08/blog-time-mail-bag.html

I didn't have contact info for you, so I figured you would be able to get that!