Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Surgery Update

Okay, I have an update on my fistula surgery. I talked to the doctor at dialysis last night and he said that he recommends the fistula surgery. He said that it should help get my access flow rate over 400 and that is what I need to get the best dialysis possible.

So, on Monday afternoon, I will be going to the hospital to have some surgery on my arm. You can look at my last post and see that the surgeon is planning to open me up by the bend in my left elbow in order to connect my fistula to the “cephalic vein” (if I remember correctly). He will also have to put in a temporary chest catheter to facilitate dialysis while my fistula heals (probably for one month or so).

Dialysis went well yesterday. There were not any problems. My pulse was about 120 after the treatment, but I have just started on my new medications, so I did not expect any changes for a week or two.

Please pray for the following:
  • Pray that my fistula surgery will go well on Monday
  • Pray that the chest catheter will go in successfully and that there will not be any problems with it (they can be prone to problems)

Thanks for coming by to read. I also appreciate your prayers on Monday afternoon.

Isaiah 65:24 (New International Version)
Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.

2 comments:

Stacy Without An E said...

I was searching for other Dialysis patients and I stumbled on your blog.

I've been a Dialysis (I have to capitalize it or Dialysis gets angry) patient for the last 18 months. I'm using a graft (similar to the one you're scheduled for) that's over 10 years old.

I wish you nothing but the best for your surgery. I have a venomous love-hate relationship with Dialysis, but lately it's been ok. The problem I have is related to pain issues.

Sometimes it burns, but that's probably related to the graft's age. When I used it ten years ago I don't remember having any pain issues, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Good luck to you. Are you on the transplant list?

Unknown said...

Well, the fistula revision surgery went great. In fact, it's been about a day, and it hardly hurts at all.

Now, I'm not pleased with the catheter in my neck (and I think it will soon be exchanged for a chest catheter), but I guess it's okay.

Transplant list ... working on it - another slow process I have to deal with.