Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Started Testing

I started my transplant evaluation yesterday. I drove down to the Dallas Transplant Institute at 11:00 am to begin the process. I had a chest x-ray taken, and then they took 21 vials of blood. That’s right, TWENTY-ONE VIALS of my blood. If I had known that they were going to take that much, I’d have brought a box of cookies to eat. But, it wasn’t that bad, and the tech found a vein that gave her all of the blood with no problems. I also spoke with a social worker that made sure I understood everything that was to come in the world of transplant. Then, I saw a nephrologist and he talked about everything that he knew.

The nephrologist seemed pleased that I have several potential donors. He said that the larger the pool of potential live donors, the better chance I have of finding a compatible kidney. He also said that sometimes people get matched by a cadaver while their donors are being tested, and then you have to decide what to do. He said the best thing was probably to take the cadaver kidney and save your donor in case your graft fails later on.

I’ve got more testing on Friday and Monday, but it shouldn’t be too bad. I think that the 21 vials of blood was the only invasive procedure currently scheduled. I also am supposed to see my cardiologist on Monday. My blood pressure has been high since the beginning of December, and I think I need some new medication (or new dosage). Hopefully she will be able to suggest something. I should also see the nephrologist at dialysis tonight. I imagine that he will say I should be using my fistula. I’ll tell him that I’m waiting until the 19th.

Thank you everyone so far for the suggestions for presents for Jenny. I have received several good ones, and one bad one. So, Vizinni, I refuse to buy iocaine powder. I know that it is odorless, tasteless, and dissolves instantly in any liquid, but I have yet to develop a tolerance, so I don’t think it’s a good idea. I was also given the idea of a couples spa weekend. That sounds like a good idea, but I think I will wait until I do not have a catheter in my chest and I am allowed to get wet again.

So, keep sending those suggestions and keep praying for a quick transplant evaluation. Thank you all for praying and reading.

No comments: