Thursday, October 26, 2006

Transplant Update

Hello everyone. I apologize for the drought in posts, but it has (once again) been a busy week. Fortunately, I have lots of good news to share today, so it should be worth it.

First stop, my new donor candidate, Kala, has gotten her first set of tests set up. She sent me an e-mail saying that the majority of her tests would be performed on Tuesday, October 31. There were a couple of tests that they couldn’t fit in that day, so they will be doing them on November 14. And, if I remember correctly from Josh, it takes two or three weeks after getting all of the work done to come up with results. That puts the results being available at the earliest at the end of November, so I do not expect anything until early December.

The next piece of good news happened last night. Our church had its annual Fall Festival for the children of the area from 6 – 8. After Jenny and I finished working at our class’s booth, we left to go home. My cell phone rang, and it was Baylor Hospital in Fort Worth. They had a potential kidney for me and needed me to head to Baylor in Dallas to get my blood drawn. We got to the hospital around 9:30 or 10:00 pm, and they drew 13 vials of my blood. They had to run tests on it (four hours worth) so they told me to go home. Unfortunately, the call at 4:00am was to tell me that this kidney and I were not a good match. But, the good news is that I am now at the calling point on “the list.” So, if I understand everything correctly, the next time a potential match comes up, they should give me a call again (and again until a good match is found).

I have called my transplant coordinator to make sure that I understand everything correctly. Hopefully she can explain where I need to go from here and perhaps she can tell me my exact position on “the list” for the area.

Please pray for Kala as she gets her testing done. Please also continue to pray that God will bring me the right kidney at the right time, no matter where it comes from.

Thanks!

No comments: