Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Clinic and Cardiology Updates

Welcome to Wednesday! It's been a little over a week since I have sent out an update, so I figured I had let enough time elapse. I have a couple things to cover, so the post won't just be fluff.

I had a cardiologist check-up last week. The doctor said that I seemed fine and that she wanted some blood work (to check my cholesterol) and to get an echo of my heart to check on my mitral valve prolapse.

I had the echo cardiogram done on Monday afternoon. The technician was not able to tell me anything (of course). The doctor called on Tuesday to let me know that my prolapse looked about the same as it had six months ago, and I will need to get another echo in six more months. That was what I had hoped for, since it had gotten worse between the last two echoes I had had done. But there was not change on the latest echo (Monday) so I am in good shape for another six months. That means no valve replacement surgery for me (yet).

I also had my post-transplant follow-up clinic appointment on Tuesday (yesterday). My creatinine is still at 1.0, which is great!! The other numbers in my lab report all looked about normal, so that's good news, too. In fact, the doctor said that I was doing so well that I do not have to come back for a whole month! That's wonderful, since it means less time out of work to go to the doctor to hear that I am doing well. I'm also glad that the new kidney is working well enough to keep me out of the hospital or out of the doctor's office.

Coming up next will be another Glofil and another bone density scan. Those are both scheduled at the six-month after transplant mark. So, come July 11, I will need to get that on the books. I guess I should go ahead and schedule the Glofil soon, since I already have a doctor's visit set up for July. That will keep me from having to go down there twice.

That's it for today! Stay tuned next time for more fun kidney information (or not fun, I guess it depends on what you enjoy).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Nathan, my name is Mack and I too have PKD. I will be receiving a kidney from my brother in about 3 weeks. I am 35 and have known about my condition for about 11 years. I have been fortunate in that I have not needed dialysis and am looking forward to having the transplant and feeling better. Thank you for your blog. It has made me feel a little more comfortable about my pending journey. Good luck to you and your future.

Brenda said...

Hi Nathan,

My husband has PKD and many of his family members. We decided to start a foundation and I recvded the first Proclamation for the disease last year. Hopefully, we will be ready to kick off the new foundation by the end of the year. Please keep blogging and let me know what I can do anything to help you.

Brenda
bdb1498@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Time to reply to some comments:

Mack - sorry it took so long. I'm glad to hear that your condition isn't too bad off. My understanding is that is how it is supposed to go. Keep drinking water and following doctor's orders!

Brenda - I'm not too familiar with Foundations. What exactly is a proclamation?