Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Another Week

I see that it has been almost one full week since I posted last, and I apologize. I should post more often, because it keeps people from having to ask me (in person) over and over how I am doing. I don't mind telling everyone, but I do think it is probably easiest if they can just read my update as it happens.

The technicians were able to stick my fistula on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday of last week. Each time, they did the two needles both pointing up. This results in a slightly slower treatment, but they got better through the week. My kT/V went from 1.02 on Tuesday to 1.28 on Saturday (with the machine running at 300 ml/min for nearly 2 1/2 hours). The target rate is 1.4, so I am getting closer. The technician also showed me another number, but I don't recall what the number was or what it means, so I won't try to list it here.

I've got another treatment scheduled for this afternoon. I'm going to stay with the 17-gauge needles for at least one more week. I am not quite ready to stress out my squiggly fistula with big honking needles. I'd rather the fistula develops for at least another week before we try and stick anything bigger in it. If nothing else, I have an appointment with my vascular surgeon on Thursday, so I can ask him what he thinks.

I might also ask the vascular surgeon if he thinks that they should be able to go up/down with the needles like they are supposed to. If so, I will suggest it to the technician on Thursday night (if I trust her). Hopefully, I will get a good tech tonight (and all week) that will not cause me any harm.

So, please pray that my treatment will go well tonight and that there will not be any problems. I have been doing well, with the machine running fairly quickly (the max with this sized needles is 300, so that's is the goal).

Please pray 3 John 1:2 for me this week: "Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nathan-

Hi-- Aaron was looking for an updated address for you last night and came across this blog. We'll be praying for your health and checking back to see how you're doing!

(ps- the Orlando.diary-x.com site is dead-- the site's server crashed. If you could email me your address, I'll make sure you get a copy of our last couple of newsletters. We have news to share, too!)

Kim Smith

kimvsmith AT gmail DOT com