Monday, April 21, 2008

TB Scare!

Welcome to the blog for today. First things first, if you did not read my blog from March, you can find it here: http://nmccart.blogspot.com/2008/03/happy-birthday-to-me.html

I went home from work at about 2:00 pm today. I heard rumors around 1:00 or so that someone in our office, on my floor, had tuberculosis. For those of you that don't know, tuberculosis, or TB, is:

Reference (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tuberculosis-tb-topic-overview)
Tuberculosis (TB) is a bacterial infection that is most often found in the lungs (pulmonary TB) but can spread to other parts of the body (extrapulmonary TB). TB in the lungs is easily spread to other people through coughing or laughing. Treatment is often successful, though the process is long. Treatment time averages between 6 and 9 months.

Now, this is an infectious disease, which is easily spread through coughing. I do not know if I have caught it, but I am going to call the transplant office in the morning to schedule a chest x-ray. I called them the minute I left work, asking what needed to be done. They returned my call about 4:30 (after the scheduling office was closed) to tell me to set up a chest x-ray to confirm if I did catch TB.

My boss called and said that the environmental people were going to come out and clean around the infected person's cubicle (which is not near me) as well as all the common areas in the building. They are supposed to disinfect everything overnight, so I should be safe in the morning. I haven't decided if I want to wear a SARS mask or not, but I'm considering it!

So, tomorrow, I will schedule my chest x-ray. It is doubtful that I have anything, but it is better to be safe than to be sorry (especially since it can take a year to cure TB in a healthy person).

That's it for today. I'd appreciate any prayers my direction in regards to my upcoming x-ray. Thanks!

No comments: