Sunday, May 08, 2011

Nephrologist Update: April 7, 2011

OK - so I'm back again, this weekend, trying to catch up on my blog posting. As you can see, I'm still posting one month in arrears. (I admit, I phrased that last sentence just to use the word "arrears").

I went to see my nephrologist back on April 7 for my normal quarterly appointment. They confirmed that my work-up from January all looked fine. For those who do not remember, I had my annual Glofil appointment back in January. The doctor was concerned that the test results were much lower than they should have been. They had me turn in a 24-hour urine collection just to double-check the results. As it turns out, I am in the upper 70's (I don't recall the exact number). This is a little lower than the 80.2 that I got last year. They did not seem concerned about the lower number. Being in the 70's is probably still pretty good for a post-transplant patient. And, we will see how well I do next January.

Unfortunately, the clinic was having their computer system updated the week that I was there. That means, they were not able to get me my blood work results for that session. I have been feeling pretty good, so I am not concerned about not having results.

My only negative this appointment was a persistent cough. I started coughing about a week before my appointment. The doctor gave me a Z-Pack. I took it for five days, but it didn't seem to do much for me.

If we fast-forward to the present, I am still coughing (May 8). I called the doctor again this week, and I got a 10-day prescription for Avelox. I am also scheduled to see an ENT on May 18. I'm hooping that he will have some kind of suggestion to help. That, or maybe the Avelox will be working by then and I won't need anything. We shall see!

That's all for this week. If I do my job right, then I should post again after the May 18 appointment. That will get me completely up to date. And, I should be better by then (if everything works right).

See you later!

1 comment:

swernga said...

Nathan - Your blog is awesome. I just received a kidney transplant at Baylor on 1/13/2011. I was on dialysis for nine months prior to the transplant and I can relate to a lot of the experiences you have captured. Take care.