Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday, June 12, 2011

It is one day before my surgery. Tomorrow I get to go in and have some procedures done. Here is what my doctor's orders say:

I have been informed of the risks, possible alternative methods of treatment, and possible consequences involved in the treatment by means of:
  • Functional endoscopic sinus surgery
  • Laryngoscopy with biopsy
under the general anesthesia for the relief of:
  • Chronic sinusitis
  • Neoplasm Larynx

That's just the fancy way to say that they found a growth on one of my vocal folds (observed through visual means) and that my CT revealed that my sinus cavities were full of junk (thanks to the CT scan). The doctor will be removing the growth from the vocal fold, and he will have it sent off for biopsy to make sure it is benign. He will also go in and vacuum out (or flush out) my sinus cavities and give me a fighting chance against my allergies (at least for a little while).

As of this morning, I do not have a time for my surgery, yet. They hospital is supposed to call me this evening and give me instructions. We will drop off Hannah with Jenny's mom, and then we will head to the hospital to be bored for a while, then surgery, then back home (yippie).

My only real questions for the doctor will be to ask him if he recommends any antibiotics to fight off lingering infection (now that the growth will be gone). I'm also going to try to ask about post-operative care (what to do and not to do) and if I will need any pain medication. The surgery itself sounds pretty simple, so that should not be an issue.

The last time this doctor operated on me, for my deviated nasal septum, I remember more of the overall day than any other previous surgery. It was interesting to have to get on the surgical table myself, and then to be awake for almost the whole hour of "post-operative observation". (And yes, grammar nerds, I have chosen to go with the more British use of the period outside of the quotation marks. I believe that everyone in America will start doing this, eventually.)

So, that's all that I have for today. If you remember me tomorrow, I could use your prayers. I would ask that the doctor would do his job well, and that my recovery would be quick and easy. See you all next time!

1 comment:

Christine said...

My punctuation preference - If the words in quotations form a complete sentence, then the period should go within the quoatation marks. However, if the words within quotations are merely a phrase or a noun and a modifier, then the period should go outside of the quotations. This seems to make the most sense logically.