Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Released from the Hospital

I was released from the hospital at about 2:00 pm on the 14th. That put me at being in the hospital for 16 days. I had never been in the hospital that long before, and this was the only time I had ever remembered having surgery (since my only other surgery had been as a small child).

The AV Fistula surgery had been finished in about an hour on Monday morning. I was told to be very careful with my arm for the next couple of weeks as the surgery was healing up. I am going to go see the kidney surgeon on the 17th to see if I can have the staples removed from my abdomen. Just for an idea, the surgical scar goes from the bottom of my sternum to right below my navel. I also have an appointment for the 28th to have my fistula checked.

I just have to say that one of the most important things that you could ever sign up for with your job is short term disability. If you have the option for this at your job, you should get it. I don't know how anyone could make it, financially, without getting any income for 90 days.

I also want to say that I dearly love my wife. She is a school teacher, so she has been off work all summer. But, instead of getting to have a vacation, she has spent the past 16 days with me in the hospital. We had planned a couple of trips this summer to see some friends and family, but we are going to have to cancel all of those plans. But, my wife has been a blessing to me every day as she has stood by my side. I thank God for His gift of her in my life.

No comments: