Thursday, November 16, 2006

November 2006 Lab Report

Here it is! The world-famous, ever anticipated, lab report for the month of November. Use only as directed.



My Albumin (the protein in the blood that helps fight infections and aids in healing) was 4.9, which is just high of the "normal" range. That's great! Nothing bad there (as normal).


My enPCR (the Protein Catabolic Rate) was below normal at 0.71. This is actually normal for me. It suggests if I am eating enough fish, chicken, beef, and other protein foods to meet my daily needs. The dietitian said that this number is probably diluted because I am still producing urine.

My eKdrt/V was 1.48, which is pretty good. This tells how well my dialysis treatment is working and if I am receiving enough dialysis to clean my blood. It's down a little from the past two months, but it's nothing to worry about as long as it stays in the target range.



My potassium level was a completely normal 4.5. Potassium is a mineral needed for normal heart rhythm and muscle function. High potassium can make your heart stop, though that has not been a problem for me.



My corrected calcium level was 9.8. Calcium is a mineral needed for health bones and muscles. I think the calcium level was a little high because I took more Phoslo this month so I could enjoy some more cheese. Fortunately, that is not a dangerously high level, and it should be back to normal next month.



Last but not least is PHOSPHORUS. My worst enemy, lol. My phosphorus level was 4.1 (which, by the way, is wonderful). Phosphorus is a mineral needed for healthy bones. High phosphorus can damage the heart and blood vessels by making them stiff, and can weaken the bones. I had feared that taking the Vitamin D treatment for my high PTH would mess up my phosphorus, but it did not do that, which is nice.

Speaking of which ... they did not order the PTH lab on the 7th, so that had to draw it on the 14th. Hopefully by this time next week, I will have some results for that (to see if it is better).



Finally, come the average fluid weight gains. Pay no attention to November, as it has not finished yet. You can see my highest was in August (it was very hot that month). But, since then, I have kept my fluid weight gains under control in September and October, even going a little lower last month (on average). The top line represents weekend gains, while the bottom line is overall monthly gains (averages).

So, life is good in the dialysis lab-report world. Keep praying for good numbers every month.

I have more to report, but I think I will wait until tomorrow. Only one long set of posts per day, I think.

Thanks for viewing! You guys are great. I have been averaging way more hits to the blog this week than I have been in a long time.

No comments: