Friday, March 16, 2007

Friday Update on My Kidney

As you may have guessed, I visited the transplant clinic again today (after hearing that my creatinine on Thursday was up to 1.4). I arrived at 8:30 this morning for my 9:00 blood work, and didn't get out of the office until nearly 11:00. I guess it was a little bit tougher to get squeezed in to an appointment that it is to schedule in advance. That will teach me to have messed up numbers. I'll have to fix that for next time.

My creatinine today was down to 1.3 (which is a little better). The doctor asked if I was still having problem with diarrhea, which I was. The Cellcept (or Myfortic) can cause that side effect in patients. The doctor originally had me down to three Cellcept per day instead of four, and that helped quite a bit. The new doctor switched me to the Myfortic to lessen these side effects, but it does not seem to have helped that much.

The doctor sent me home today with the following instructions:
  1. Stop taking Myfortic/Cellcept for the weekend
  2. No dairy products
  3. Take Immodium as needed
  4. Do stool cultures and bring back on Monday
  5. Make a future appointment with GI doctor
So, lots of fun for the weekend. Don't ask me any questions about #4, because I probably will not answer them. It's not a subject with which I am overly comfortable, so no poop questions!

Anyway, I will be returning to the doctor on Monday, and hopefully we can work out this latest problem. In the meantime, I will be drinking plenty of fluids in a hope to not be dehydrated. That is the biggest risk at the moment. Being dehydrated is a problem for the new kidney, so I don't want to cause any problems. I guess I'll just drink a bunch more fluid and hope for the best.

I should know more on Monday (or maybe not). I guess it depends on if the doctor can evaluate my samples immediately or if it will take a few hours. If I learn anything (like if I have a virus or something) then I'll let you know. Otherwise, you'll hear from me again when I learn something!

Have a good day!

(Oh, and enjoy my birthday on Sunday. I'll be 29.)

No comments: