Friday, August 12, 2005

August 12

I had another successful dialysis treatment last night. The only problem that I had was that after my treatment, my blood pressure was low and my pulse was high. The nurse at the clinic said that I need to go see my cardiologist about my strange heart rate. When I am seated, my blood pressure is fine and my heart rate is slow. The doctor came by and prescribed a beta blocker to help regulate my heart beat. I'll have to ask the cardiologist what all a beta blocker does when I see her next week.

The doctor visit was not all that great. He arrived at the clinic about 7:00, and must have been gone by 8:00. He buzzed by my chair and dropped off a prescription. I did not get a chance to ask about going back to work. In fact, the nurse came by after 8:00 with a prescription for a phosphorus blocker. The doctor had written a one-month supply. I told her that my insurance company does mail-in prescriptions for 90-day supplies of medicine. She said that I should have mentioned that before the doctor left. It's too bad that I didn't know that the doctor had left or that he was going to give me another medication.

The speed of the doctor's visit reminded me of being in the hospital. If you do not have a list of questions written down and sitting in front of you when the doctor shows up, then you do not get to ask any questions. So, for next week, I am going to write down all my questions and hold them in my hand until I see him. That is the only way that I am going to be able to find out anything, it seems.

The other thing that I am still missing is my insurance card. I called my human resources representative at work this morning to check with Unicare and see why they haven't mailed my card yet. I can't order my new prescriptions or fill out my transplant paperwork until I get that insurance card. Hopefully I will either receive the card today or find out why I haven't received it yet. If it comes before Tuesday then I can turn in the paperwork the next time that I see the nephrologist.

No comments: