Monday, August 15, 2005

An Overwhelming Response

Wow. I finally told all my friends and family about this blog that I've been writing. There have been nearly fifty visitors since I sent out that inviting e-mail. I appreciate the interest that shows and I will do my best to keep current posts online for everyone who is praying.

Also, if you want to get an e-mail whenever I post a new entry, please let me know. I can add your address so that you automatically get a copy of each new post, which might be something that you want. If it is, tell me and I'll add you to the list. And, of course, if you tell me you like it and it turns out that you don't, then tell me that and I'll take you off (everything is easy to do on the Internet).

As for an update, I received a call today from the company that supplies my disability benefits. It seems that my short-term disability benefits have been extended to 08/28/2005 (which is the maximum benefit period for my policy). If I have not returned to work by that date, then my benefits will switch over to long-term disability. I am hoping that the doctor will say that I can go back to work before that date so that I don't have to worry about any of that.

The thrill, or feeling of blood flow, in my fistula, is not quite as strong as it was before dialysis on Saturday. I guess that is a result of my vein being scratched by the input needle. My fistula is still not large enough to use the normal-sized dialysis needles. They are still doing my treatments with the small needles (17 gauge). I've been told that if I squeeze a stress ball several times a day that it will help develop the fistula. I've also been told that using a light tourniquet on my left arm for ten minutes once or twice a day will help the fistula mature. I'm trying to do both of these things with the hope that my fistula will soon be strong enough to support the normal sized needles.

No comments: