Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sunday Update II

It is around 6:30 pm Sunday, so I thought I'd take an opportunity to update the blog again. My mom and her husband and here in Fort Worth. They came in Saturday evening and are leaving tomorrow in the morning. They took Jenny out to dinner, so I have an hour or so to myself. I spent about 10 or 15 minutes walking around the nurse's station, and now I've made a couple of return phone calls and am sitting down to blog.

I've been getting several phone and e-mail questions, so I thought I would answer the big one:
Nathan, will your new kidney "catch" the polycystic kidney disease?

The answer is no. Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic disease that is in my DNA. Scientists will tell you that DNA is some really long something that every person, place, thing, or idea has (or maybe that's a noun). My DNA contains the "DaVinci Code" that tells my own personal kidneys that they want to grow cysts (or fluid-filled sacks) in place of real decent kidney material. Fortunately for me, the new kidney was born inside someone else who doesn't have my genetic disease (I hope). My body will not pass the disease on to the new kidney. And, unless the donor had the disease and didn't know it, then I won't catch it from him.

It is possible that there are unknown facts surrounding the new kidney. The hospital can only give out certain information, due to privacy laws and such. But, they did tell me that the kidney came from a 17-year old male. That is great news, meaning the kidney should probably out-live me. And, I imagine that most 17 year olds are in better health than I was, so his kidney should have been in real good shape. I think they mentioned that he was in an accident, so he didn't die of a physical problem, which leads me to think the kidney will be healthy as long as I take care of it.

I am still taking my anti-rejection medications. They have been checking my blood sugar (since some of the medications can raise your blood sugar). It was fairly high right after the transplant, but it was only 101 right before supper today. They told me that anything under 100 was good, and they have not given me insulin since Saturday, so I am guessing they are not too worried.

In other news, my feet are kind of swollen, and my legs are a little swollen. They nurses and doctors said that this was normal and to be expected considering the weight gain, the extra fluid, and the medications. As the kidney kicks in more, that fluid should mostly get drained off, and I should get back down to a better weight. I don't know that I will be 71.5 kg again, but I would be happy with anything under 73 kg. That feels about right for my height and body size.

I was able to take a shower this afternoon, which was very nice. I had to cover up the central line in my neck with plastic, which wasn't that great. And, I could not scrub the kidney incision (which wasn't so bad), but I was able to rinse all of the sweat and blue antiseptic. I am feeling much much better now, physically. I am glad to be clean again.

Well, everyone is back from dinner, so I am going to sign off for now. Send in your comments and e-mails, and I will try to get back to you. Enjoy your day!
Post a Comment